The following recipe was provided by THChristis. Visit her blog for more recipes and other posts regarding cannabis.
Today I’m sharing my process for making a Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil. The beauty of this medicine is it’s versatility. It can be used in creating both tasty edibles and healing topicals.
You will notice that my recipe uses a mixture of buds, sugar leaf trim & fan leaf trim. I have found that using all parts of the plant is the best way to make this. Each part of the plant holds cannabinoids in different concentrations. By using a whole plant mixture (minus stems) it makes a well balanced medicine that is easily processed by the body in both a topical treatment and as an edible.
What you will need:
- Steeping the plant matter
- RO (reverse osmosis) water, or distilled water
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Dried and cured medical marijuana buds, sugar leaf trim and fan leaf trim
- A french coffee press or other straining device that you can press out the liquid from the material
- A large bowl or pot
- Latex or nitrile gloves
- A gold coffee filter or fine sieve
Here’s the recipe for 1 Cup of Coconut oil. You can easily double, triple or whatever you like.
- In your crockpot add 1 Cup of organic Coconut Oil. Turn your crock pot on low and allow the oil to melt into a liquid.
- Once the coconut oil has melted add 2 ounces of dried plant material. I like to use about 1/3 dried buds, 1/3 dry fan leaf trim, and 1/3 sugar leaf trim. It’s not important to make these exact 3rds but it is key that your total dried plant matter is a total of 2 ounces for every cup of coconut oil.
- Add 5-6 cups of your RO or Distilled water. IMPORTANT: some folks make this without the water and just mix the fat with the plant matter. I do not recommend doing it that way. The water acts as a filter for a large amount of the chlorophyll as well as prevents your mixture from becoming too hot and scalding or cooking off the precious cannabinoids which you are after.
- Turn your crock pot on high. Stir your mixture every hour. This will agitate the plant matter in the oil and help to infuse the cannabinoids into the oil.
- After 1 hour turn your crock pot onto low or warm and allow this mixture to cook and steep for at least 4 hours but up to 24 hours.
- Once you’ve reached the desired time, turn off your crock pot and allow this mixture to cool down to a temperature you can work with easily without burning yourself.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, scoop your mixture into your clean french press coffee maker. Press the mixture to strain out the plant matter and pour the liquid into a large bowl or pot. This may take several pressings depending on the size of your french press. If you are not using a french press you can use a wire sieve to strain out the liquid. Be sure to glove up and squeeze out the liquid by hand.
- When you have strained out all of the plant matter cover your bowl or pot (which now contains a mixture of water and oil) and place it into the refrigerator overnight.
- Once your liquid has chilled overnight it will have separated into 2 layers. Remove the hardened coconut oil from the top and drain on a paper towel. Discard the water.
- At this point you may notice there are still some fine particles attached to the bottom of your hardened coconut oil. To remove these you will want to remelt the hardened coconut oil in a pot over low heat. Once this is melted back into a liquid strain it through a fine sieve or your gold coffee filter.
- Place this liquid back into the refrigerator to solidify.
Now you have a strong coconut oil infusion which can be used in edibles as well as topicals. This mixture will store well in the fridge or freezer.
I like to place 1/4 Cup pre-measured amounts into zippered bags and keep it in the freezer. When I’m ready to make a recipe I can just pull out the amount I need and thaw it out and add it to the recipe.
You can use this infused coconut oil straight on your skin as an effective topical treatment or add it into your favorite topical recipes like my THChristi Tub Treats
For edibles, you can easily substitute 1:1 solidified coconut oil for butter, or melted coconut oil for other oils in your favorite recipes. Or try making my 99% Organic Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Subscribe to triiiches.blogspot.com or stay tuned for more make your own medicine recipes using Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil.